Whipped Cream for cake decorating sometimes needs a little help to maintain its integrity on cakes that may be expected to hold up for more than a few hours or at maximum a day.
With the help of a little gelatin, you can achieve this. This stabilizer will give your whipped cream creations a longer open window to help increase the beauty and integrity that a freshly whipped cream maintains.
For those of you who do not use gelatin, you may substitute agar agar in the same quantities or simply leave it out of hte recipe and you will still have Whipped Cream, just not as stable
- Plain Powdered Gelatin 1 teaspoon
- Cold Water 1-1/2 tablespoons
- Boiling Water 1-1/2 tablespoons
- Bloom the gelatin in the cold water.
- Let stand about 5 minutes.
- Add the boiled water to the gelatin mixture and stir to dissolve.
- Use immediately in the recipe below
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- ¼ cup Granulated or Confectioners Sugar (or to taste if you like sweeter or less sugar)
- The stabilizer recipe from above
- In a small microwaveable bowl add 1 Tablespoon of the gelatin stabilizer and microwave on medium power for just 10 seconds at a time until it melts. DO NOT BOIL.
- In another separate bowl add ¼ c of the heavy cream from the above recipe for whipped cream.
- Microwave this until it is hot to the touch, then add it to the gelatin mixture.
- Next pour the remaining heavy cream into the bowl of the Kitchen Aid mixer with the whip attachment and whip on high speed.
- As the cream begins to get frothy and gain volume you can add the sugar. Continue whipping until you achieve desired peaks necessary for your specific application.
- Just before you have reached your desired peaks consistency, pour in the warm cream/gelatin mixture WHILE WHIPPING ON HIGH SPEED and whip a few seconds longer.
- It is not a great idea to store whipped cream for more than a day, it will lose its volume that we worked so hard to achieve.
- But if you MUST, 3 days maximum and you WILL have to re whip again, so in my opinion, what's the point? You should really just do it ala minute.